Thursday, February 16, 2012

Daring Cooks' February Challenge - Röstis

The Daring Cooks’ February 2012 challenge was hosted by Audax & Lis and they chose to present Patties for their ease of construction, ingredients and deliciousness! We were given several recipes, and learned the different types of binders and cooking methods to produce our own tasty patties!


My apologies, I’m posting late again. I actually completed this month’s DC challenge weeks ago, but I was extremely busy yesterday and the day before, preparing and giving a conference, so I had to postpone this post.

Sooooo… “Patties,” you say? Not the most difficult challenge, nor the most aesthetic. But sometimes, the Daring Kitchen challenges are about creativity and simple technique, not complexity. Not that I was particularly creative: I made röstis.


What can I say, there’s something about crispy potatoes that I find irresistible. French fries, oven-roasted potatoes, latkes… Their presence on the table always brings a smile to my face. I’d never made röstis, although I’d had them. It turns out their preparation is very similar to latkes, except they are thinner and aren’t deep-fried. Other than that, they’re basically shredded potato patties.

We made one giant rösti, which we cut into wedges and ate the way we usually eat latkes: with smoked salmon and crème fraîche. Delicious! Crispy potatoes triumph again!


And that’s really all I’ve got for you this month. My thanks to Audax for this tasty challenge! Please check out the Daring Kitchen to look at the challenge recipes, as well as the Daring Cooks’ blog roll to see what everyone else cooked up this month!

4 comments:

  1. I posted late too, but it's because when I scheduled it to post, I didn't use GMT. Confuse me more, WP lol That said, your rosti is perfect - light and golden as it should be, and it looks so tender and...and..this makes me want to make another one, but in a non-stick pan this time lol We sometimes eat potato latkes with smoked salmon too, but we use sour cream :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never heard of latkes, it looks a lot like pan fried rice noodles that m mom use to make. Interesting choice of topping too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks pretty enough and tasty too. Love a good rosti and we recently made some ourselves too..:) not for daring kitchen ofcourse as I seem to be consistently missing that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the idea of one big rosti and it looks awesome...especially with smoked salmon ;-)

    ReplyDelete