Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Daring Bakers' September Challenge - Croissants

The Daring Bakers go retro this month! Thanks to one of our very talented non-blogging members, Sarah, the Daring Bakers were challenged to make Croissants using a recipe from the Queen of French Cooking, none other than Julia Child!

This is probably going to be the shortest post I’ve ever written. And my last post as a single gal!

I was excited that the Daring Bakers chose to re-visit an old challenge this month, especially because it was the croissant challenge. I had time to do the challenge, but now, between practicing the waltz, finalizing the seating arrangements, folding and assembling seat markers, and wrapping party favours for the guests – not to mention having an awesome bachelorette event, which actually revolved around baking, and which I will be sure to tell you all about – I have no time to blog about it.



Croissants were made. They were not bad for a first try, but there is definitely room for improvement (for example, they didn’t rise nearly as much as I would have liked). But the next try will have to wait.

My thanks to Sarah for the challenge and the very detailed instructions. Please visit the Daring Kitchen for the challenge recipes, and check out the Daring Bakers’ blog roll to look at all the super-flaky croissants that came out of ovens all over the world this month.

See you all after the wedding!

8 comments:

  1. Ooo have a wonderful wedding! I'm not entirely sure on the date, but hope all goes well and you have a brilliant and romantic day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY we have a married girl now (who swears a bit lol), I like your pre wedding panick croissants, maybe try it when all has calmed down lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I hope the wedding went smoothly and I am very curious to see some photos! I am home now, but still without a computer (hopefully tomorrow). When you get back from your honeymoon and want to bake with passionfruit, just go to a Latin foods store and look in the freezer. You'll find it in flat packages often called maracuya. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to you & your husband! I hope that married life treats you well! I love being married too,it gives the relation a boost & it also feels very special to be married to the right person!

    Kisses from Belgium!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, golden, layered croissants, Val- but even a more beautiful union! Hope the first 'almost a' month of your marriage has been fullof happiness, love and more good eats, dear Mrs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe you manage to fit in some time from your wedding planning to blog post.

    Congratz to you & Laurent. Have fun and post your wedding pics. Croissants look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot believe you made such gorgeous roles. I am green with envy - why no recent posts? I hope you are well????
    Just got back from Italy and have retired! Yay! So, hope to be doing my regular reading.
    :)
    V

    ReplyDelete